Set exposure manually once without metering

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Re: Set exposure manually once without metering

That said, I really don’t understand why anyone would want to shoot full manual in this day and age in situations where you want to work quickly and efficiently. Going semi-auto: aperture priority using auto-ISO w/auto-shutter speed presets with full-time manual fine-tuning (exposure compensation) will yield the same (or better) results with FAR greater efficiency without giving up any creative control whatsoever.

Sort of.  I shoot fully manual 99% of the time.  If the light is fairly consistent, then it is no problem to work quickly.  But, say you're street shooting -one shot in daylight, followed by another in shade a second later, then yes - some assistance from the camera is helpful (for me, it would be Auto ISO).

But I have never understood the efficiency benefit of exposure compensation.  If I can hit the comp dial (or button and dial on my camera), I can surely adjust the shutter,  aperture or ISO  just as quickly.  I get that one you're used to it, everything falls into place.  but that's a two-way street; people tend to find efficient solutions, even if they're different from other people's efficient solutions.

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow