G550 (650 etc) Mac printing - scum dots?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,889
G550 (650 etc) Mac printing - scum dots?

After doing some B&W print tests, I got out the hand lens to look at different dot patterns with different quality levels.

Looking at white areas, I see occasional very sparse ink dots - not much but they are there in every print I've made via the Mac 'AirPrint' driver (B&W mode or Colour)

I'll be doing some more refined testing, but if anyone has a G550 (650 etc) and is printing on a Mac, could you look for a very sparse dot pattern appearing in solid white areas?

This is a quick shot of an art paper (USB microscope) with the colour bumped up a bit to show dots in a printed part of the image ( a black dashed line) and in other parts of the paper - right up to the edge. I'll get a better pic with my macro setup, but this is enough to show that what I see in through hand lens is real

This suggests that the head is firing a few random dots off all the while...

BTW - they seem too obvious for the 'secret' printer ID codes, which normally use just yellow dots

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow