Win11 adaptation poll

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 2,041
Re: Win11 adaptation poll

Austinian wrote:

The Point and Shoot Pro wrote:

Austinian wrote:

That also applies to some recent CPU generations, but users still pay attention to benchmarks. I'd like to see numbers from a wide variety of applications; this early document suggests that we might see quite large differences in some cases:

http://borec.ch/the-potential-performance-impact-of-device-guard-hvci/

To quote one of my favorite old TV shows, "We want...information."

I don't use benchmarks as a "benchmark" for actual usability. It's a synthetic usage. If we only went by benchmarks for performance, You would not get an accurate account of usability. For example, The M1 benchmarks above intel's core i7. However in the real world once you throw a video encoding project at both, the i7 dominates the M1 in speed. Generations old i7 as well. So benchmarking, give no indicators on real world performance.

You appear to be thinking entirely of benchmarks as 'synthetic' benchmarks. Benchmarking an actual application tells you a lot about performance on that application.

If PC 'A' processes a particular raw file with PhotoLab 4 in, say, 15 seconds:

And PC 'B' processes the same file with the same PhotoLab 4 settings in 20 seconds, that gives me useful info about their relative PhotoLab processing speed.

That method extended over multiple applications is IMO a reasonable indicator of overall performance.

"I'd like to see numbers from a wide variety of applications".

Yes.  I am talking about synthetic benchmarks.  That is what most reviews use.  Not real world program usage. Hence the reason I mentioned the intel vs. M1.  Independant reviews using the systems for video production work have proven that intel based systems are much much faster than the M1.  Meanwhile, the M1 will "benchmark" faster on synthetic benchmarking programs, which are meaningless.

-- hide signature --

Fronterra Photography Tours
One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
jfk
(unknown member)
jfk
MOD Austinian
(unknown member)
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow