D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick620 Regular Member • Posts: 236
Wait a couple of weeks!

I don’t have a recommendation as to what to do re equipment (although I have owned a 750 (and 850) so I know where you’re coming from re AF-C) but, in your circumstances, the one thing I would categorically do is wait and see what the Z9 brings to the table in a couple of weeks or so.

That doesn’t mean buy one (although you might!) but it will give a definite indication as to whether Nikon finally matches, or surpasses, SonyCan offerings - and also whether some of that tech perhaps filters to Z6/7 II (or other) bodies.

Nikon have stated that the Z9 will be their best ever camera, surpassing the D6, and although this is Nikon we’re talking about (!) that’s quite a statement.

There’s an awful lot of BS spoken about current AF-C on Z bodies, usually from folk who’ve never used one, but the fact remains that Nikon need to nail that good and proper.

As others have pointed out, the idea that DSLR ‘research’ is still going on in the industry (apart from Pentax) and there’s a ‘D7 in the works’ is patently absurd - that of course doesn’t mean that big beasts D?, 850 are poor choices, far from it, but I would certainly wait for a very big card to land on the table in a couple of weeks and see what that means before playing my hand.

Good luck with your choice.

-- hide signature --

The answer is 42.

Rick620's gear list:Rick620's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z fc Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 8-15mm F3.5-4.5 fisheye Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow