RAAF Roulettes free practice air display

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
Denjw
OP Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,803
Re: RAAF Roulettes free practice air display

jcr1 wrote:

i had an experience with the RAAF, quite a few years ago. It was back in the day when the RNZAF had Sky Hawks. I was getting my cows in one afternoon for milking; just ambling along on my ATV and the cows were quite happy with things and they were ambling to the milking shed at their own quiet pace. All was peaceful, when all of a sudden a couple of those Aussie jets with the double tails screamed over the hill, this was followed by a few Sky Hawks doing rolls and things. I reckon I just about had a heart attack! The cows were in the yard in a minute - they just took off! I found out, subsequently there were joint exercises on between NZ and Australia and at the back of Stratford we were on the flight path from the Air Force Base at Ohakea. We never get to see fighter jets these days unless it's rarely a vampire jet owned by an enthusiast.

Ha, good story. Makes me think of a day when my late father and I were pumping sandworm down the coast near the mouth of the Snowy River at Marlo.

Dad was bent over pumping when I noticed a F-111 Aardvark ( based in Sale) flying along above the beach towards us. It was flying very low that I could see the pilot in the cockpit very clearly. The plane flew almost right above us but dad want bent over and did not see it or hear it as he was fairly deaf. But the sonic boom after it had passed frightened the hell out of him!

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow