Help me find a mirrorless camera for travel/event purposes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dennis3
Dennis3 Forum Member • Posts: 87
Help me find a mirrorless camera for travel/event purposes

I need some advice on purchasing a camera under or around $1,000 mark.

My goals

I want a camera that is approximately the size of Sony A6400/Fujifilm X-S10 and no larger, and not smaller either. My plan is to have the camera on me at most all times walking about and participating at conventions and events I go to, doing mostly snapshots, and occasional video. I plan on having it mostly on Auto or P mode, with occasional S mode, and more rarely Manual. In other words I want something that is fairly automatic but can also go into manual mode when I need more control.

Existing equipment

I have Nikon D7200 and various lenses for my big gear that I now rarely take to my travels, as it is bulky and I don't want to lug around that camera at all times.

I also have Sony RX100 V and also Sony RX100 VI. Those are the cameras I usually take with me, and they work great, but I have been wanting something more, i.e. a step-up camera that will perform better, have wider dynamic range, and have some better photos overall.a

Previous Research

From my previous research I did like the Sony A6400 and was going to get one but decided not to at some point as RX100 was still working okay. I am taking a new look now and I see that Sony A6400 is now showing a bit of its age, there is a newer Fujifilm X-S10 that seems to be pretty good. My concern with Fuji is that I have been very used to Sony cameras, and a bit hesitant to be jumping brands, since I will also have to start getting/collecting Fuji lenses. I am in a good spot however, since I don't have dedicated Sony lenses right now, I am not tied to a particular brand in that sense. If I go with Fuji I will have to learn and adjust to its various controls, where with Sony A6400 I will feel pretty much right at home with its menus and other controls.

What would you recommend I do from this point on? I know I started looking at Sony A6400, and Fujifilm X-S10.  Given my goals & history, would you have any way of helping me break that tie?  Are there other cameras in a similar class that I need to look at or consider?

Thanks!

Dennis3's gear list:Dennis3's gear list
Sony RX100 V Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +1 more
Nikon D7200 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 V Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow