Is it hard for still photographers to transition to video?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,649
Is it hard for still photographers to transition to video?

After shooting stills for over 50+ years, I dipped my tippy toe into video 4 years ago and love it. After a few camera upgrades (for video capability), I'd say I am more a videographer than a photographer.

However, all my friends seem to exhibit a reluctency to even try video. I used to belong to a camera club going back to the wet darkroom days. With some resistence and comtempt the members finally all embraced digital photography (it's not like they had a choice). It even completed the transformation of doing away with any print competition. But when I preached video to the club, I only got a couple cursory enquiries and no one was serious enough to pursue the new territory with me. I ended up leaving club after 25 years (my interest is no longer in still photography) although I still keep contact with some of the old friends.

Why such resistency? After all, the cameras we are shooting with today all have video capability. I started my endeavor with the Nikon D800. That got me into learning editing and pairing sound tracks. There is no doubt in my mind that a couple of minutes of video tells a more complete story than a series of stills. Why not give it a try?

I quickly realized that still and video are two very different mind sets although we both look thru the same LED or viewfinder.

May be video editing is a little more complicated. That's exactly the reason I moved on to video. To learn. To explore the new territory. Isn't it what a hobby is about? To kill time, to engage.

I've found my training in composition, lighting and aesthetics help me tremendously.

May be shooting video requires you plan out movement and flow instead of raising the camera to your eye and click. I don't know.

But the world, as indicated by the equipment manufacturers, all indicated the world is moving to video. All the smartphones are talking about their video features. Nikon and Canon are pushing their mirrorless cameras with all the improvements focus on video. Not to mention that Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Fuji are all video-centric equipment makers.

What are these people (my friends) afraid of?

Do you find my experience true to you too?

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +2 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
MOD Biggs23
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow