A fall walk in the Arboretum, Seattle UW

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 6,007
A fall walk in the Arboretum, Seattle UW

I actually went to iron out one particular moss, but also really enjoyed a walk through the Aboretum in stunning fall colors.

When I photograph mosses I begin with a shot that displays the habitat and scale of the moss against my tripod. I use a tripod because of the great difficulty in maintaining position through a sequence of focus brackets, letting the camera stack the images. I used on this day the EM-1X and my new copy of the 12-45, which I find to be a very good lens. This was my 5th outing with that lens - all the others in the mountains. For mosses I also use the excellent 60mm macro and for detail when necessary the Raynox 250 with a reducing ring (B&H).

Shot showing tripod and target moss.

The moss here is about 1 cm across. Shooting mosses is difficult as the leaves have no contrast to speak of - no edges that are well-defined on most mosses. It works best to shoot leaves (not this image) against a well-contrasted background.

As an arboretum, most plants are non-native and flowers still bloom here even in winter.

There are many birds though most remain hidden or flit from tree to shrub, etc.

Numerous paths wind through the Arboretum.

Mosses on trees and lichens as well are nigh on impossible with a tripod as the mosses are at head height or higher.

Any close-up shot will give good bokeh, the question is just the color and brightness of the background. I walked around the tree to get this coloring which is complementary to the moss.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow