XT3 + 18-135mm Issues

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
trashcaneron New Member • Posts: 4
XT3 + 18-135mm Issues

I’ve noticed lately having gone back to using my kit zoom a lot that the xf18-135 has some major drawbacks. I’m wondering if these are issues that have always been there or are just more noticeable having gotten used to using the kit 18-55 again. Both the camera body XT3 and the lens are using the most recent firmware as of fall 2021.

1) When at most telephoto the auto focus is sometimes sluggishly slow and sometimes can’t focus at all. This seems to depend on the focus subject, but this isn’t always the case. Going higher aperture or ISO sometimes helps but I’ve noticed this when shooting outside on a sunny day, too.

2) When recording video and doing a zoom while recording, the subject almost never stays in focus. The AF has to recalibrate through the action of the zoom. Sometimes it catches up and sometimes I have to hit that instant AF again (soft press of shutter). If I am in manual focus it doesn’t stay focused throughout the action but that seems correct.

3) When recording video, the exposure flickers/steps through the zoom. This is true at any aperture. I knew this was the case when I first bought the lens but thought it was fixed with a firmware update last summer. Maybe I’m misremembering?I know for the kit lens it doesn’t step anymore (or it is barely noticeable) when you shoot at most open and it automatically goes from 2.8 to 3.5. Which is weird because if you shoot at f4 with that lens you cam see the stepping. Confusing.

Is this how this lens is supposed to be working or are there some problems here?

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow