DPR review Z14-24 2.8S

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
VBLondon Senior Member • Posts: 2,114
DPR review Z14-24 2.8S

This review has been out a few days and I haven't seen any discussion of it?

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z-14-24mm-f2-8-s-field-review

I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. It seems to me a bit contradictory in places

There's a lot of praise

Given its price premium over the earlier DSLR-oriented design, you'll likely expect great things from Nikon's 14-24mm F2.8 for mirrorless, and in almost all respects it delivers. It can deliver tack-sharp images across its zoom range, and the only slight weak spot is a tendency towards overly-busy bokeh

But the field curvature does result in some critical remarks about sharpness off-centre (my bold)

At the wide-angle end of the zoom range, center sharpness is already excellent even with the F2.8 maximum aperture, and there's no noticeable improvement from stopping down to F5.6. Unfortunately, this sharpness drops off dramatically as you approach the edges, such that even areas of the image just a third of the way from the center to the edge are noticeably soft. The extreme edges and corners are noticeably soft wide-open, but focusing in the corners sharpens them right back up, indicating a degree of field curvature (visible in the grass, here). Fortunately, stopping down to F5.6 leads to a fairly flat field, with most of the frame sharpening up nicely.

The slightly contradictory tone continues in the conclusion.

On filters, there's a "what we don't like":

• Front filters are huge, expensive and require a bulky hood/lens cap

And a "Good For"

Landscape photographers and videographers who'll utilize the convenient, though large, filter thread for circular polarizer and neutral density filters

I wasn't really sure what to make of it. It seems at odds in places with most other reviews of the 14-24 I've read. I don't have the lens so can't really comment.

These extracts don't really give a full picture, the review is a quite quick read, so worth looking at in full.

VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Nikon Z6
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
DWM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow