RAAF Roulettes free practice air display

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Denjw
Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,789
RAAF Roulettes free practice air display

I had just arrived at nearby town of Lakes Entrance for an appointment and some shopping.

Lakes Entrance is a fishing port at the ocean entrance to the Gippsland Lakes, the largest network of inland waterways in Australia. See more details here .

By chance just as I arrived the Roulettes, which are the Royal Australian Air Force's aerobatic display team, began a display (practice) along the foreshore of the town.

See more details of the Roulettes here .

I jumped out of my car, grabbed my camera and switched to my BIFs setting and fired away. Overcast conditions were not ideal and the lingering smoke trails did not help.

This was my first time shooting such a display so I made some rookie errors. Initially I had Subject Detection AF for Birds engaged before I remembered Airplanes. I thought I changed the setting to Airplanes but when I got home to review files they all show Birds was engaged! Duh!

Also I should have been using a much slower shutter speed as these Pilatus PC-21 aircraft are propeller driven so they I have frozen propellers with some showing evidence of rolling shutter distortion because of electronic shutter.

Images are nothing special but it was a learning experience and next time such an opportunity arises I will be better prepared.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow