Upgrade from 5D mkII to 1DX mkII ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gglad Junior Member • Posts: 42
Upgrade from 5D mkII to 1DX mkII ?

I have a 5D mkII that has served me extremely well over the past ~12 years. The majority of shooting during that time has been under controlled studio lighting, or relatively still available light situations.

I recently have gotten into shooting more action related things- sports and aviation in particular. I was able to borrow a Canon EF 100-400 (II) and also the Sigma 100-400mm and tried shooting with both. In general the results in normal daylight using both (handheld) were amazing- when in focus! Both lenses had a hard time staying focused on the moving subjects (tried with and without OS).

How much does the camera itself play into the ability to quickly focus on stuff in this situation? I am looking at buying a 100-400mm lens, and if I go with the Sigma refurbished I may save enough in the lens purchase to afford an upgrade to my camera body. I am considering moving to a used 1DX mkII. Would the focus system on that body (or any other particular newer body) improve my ability to focus in these contexts?

I would like to stick with the EF format since I have a few EF-L lenses in wider formats that I like to use in closer situations..

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow