Parting Ways with the M6ii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,736
Parting Ways with the M6ii

While my wife still loves her M3, I am in general parting ways with my M6 Mark II and all lenses. My daughter who's a doctor/surgeon will now be using the M6 Mark II as she finds it useful for her work (so we're keeping the fabulous EF28mm 3.5 Marco which she needs and likes using).

This has nothing to do with M bodies, particularly the M6 Mark II, as they are top performing photographic tools. It has nothing to do with the possibility that Canon will no longer upgrade the M series with new body or lenses.

It’s simply doing what makes more sense for me, as well as consolidating my gear towards something more certain – which is the EOS RF system. The lineup of RF lenses keeps improving, and expanding in terms of pricing options. There are affordable primes and “single-kidney” priced ones. Canon no doubt is investing its best on the RF system, which makes it the best way to go.

My typical combo now will be the R + R6 or the RP + R6. I added back the RP to my system so I don’t have to miss the portability of the M6 Mark II. The RP with the RF35mm is quite portable. Very portable with the RF50mm 1.8 (which makes me lose IS, just like my erstwhile favorite combo M6II+32mm).

Let me also share that this is a decision that dovetails nicely to both my personal and professional circumstances. On the personal front, my priority is family travel photography as we are now able to resume some degree of domestic travel and likely some foreign travel by the next quarter of next year. This means mirrorless FF assures me of “no-hassle” photography under any lighting condition (as we love visiting night markets to feast on street food). Nearly all of my paid gigs (a passive but lucrative source of income for me) is now leaning towards corporate portrait and product photography, for which the RF system again is superior.

Do I recommend this for all M system fans? No. The 32mp inside the M6II is a very capable sensor. It is not perfect. It does need some help from DxO software past ISO800. But the level of detail it captures, with the right lens and the right settings, is worthy of praise.

A few weeks or months later, maybe I will regret having taken this path. Or maybe not. I will post here how it’s been by then since anyway, I “conjugally” still have an M3 that I could occasionally use 😊

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
KEG
MAC
KEG
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
KEG
MAC
KEG
MAC
MAC
KEG
KEG
MAC
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow