Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,779
Re: Win11 adaptation poll

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

I hope MS changes there mind about older hardware and TPM. Otherwise it could be a long time for me.

For me, and I suspect for others, the bigger issue of the two isn't TPM, but the CPU generation. We have two laptops with TPM but using 6th gen CPUs that don't technically qualify.

It's not a real problem, as we have other, supported PCs that are happily running 11, but I'd prefer all our PCs be on 11 for user convenience.

I do think that this requirement will be relaxed, perhaps with the next annual update, as one of the 6th gen laptops is running 11 as a Dev Channel machine. It's slow, but no slower than it was with Windows 10.

Exactly, who wants to deal with different interfaces. I like the consistency of 11 yet I'm not aware of any reason not to support older CPUs except greed.

On earlier CPUs there can be a variable and potentially significant CPU performance hit if Memory Integrity is enabled. My 6th gen performance comment is with it disabled. I can see some people screaming with intense 11-rage if they switch MI on not knowing the possible side effects.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-gaming-benchmarks-performance-vbs-hvci-security

I'd like to see similar tests on pre-7th gen CPUs; anyone found such?

While we can measure these differences, in reality and other than gaming, it is unusual to perceive them

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
jfk
(unknown member)
jfk
MOD Austinian
(unknown member)
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow