Why were some of Kodak's DCS models so far ahead of other digital cameras at the time?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,301
Re: Why were some of Kodak's DCS models so far ahead of other digital cameras at the time?

SQLGuy wrote:

RJDG14 wrote:

Were the lack of built in filters the reason why some of the modern day photos taken with these DCS cameras look pretty good colour-wise but a lot of the sample photos I've seen that were taken by journalists in the mid 1990s looked a bit off (for instance, certain browns and reds would come out orange, or maybe it was vice versa).

IIRC, the main complaint was purple-ish skin tones when used without an IR blocking filter.

I'll try over the next couple of days to take some test shots with my 460c with and without IR blocking filters to show the effects.

The 760c, which did have an IR blocking filter in the lens mount, certainly showed a shift of reds toward orange. I plan to investigate that a bit more, too.

Here's a DPReviewTV segment on the NC2000, along with a photojournalist who shot with one back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BwQ9jS1xKc

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +34 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow