Why were some of Kodak's DCS models so far ahead of other digital cameras at the time?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,295
Re: Why were some of Kodak's DCS models so far ahead of other digital cameras at the time?

RJDG14 wrote:

I have a feeling that Sony provide some of Nikon's sensors as well. I think most of Canon's were developed in-house, though I have a feeling I recall reading that certain Canon models may contain Panasonic components.

Sony provided and provides a lot of Nikon's sensors (from the D100 up through the D850 and the latest Z cameras). Sony also did base fabrication for a lot of the Fuji sensors. And some of the Olympus and Pentax sensors, as well. And probably the Ricoh GR sensors. And the Minolta 5D/7D sensor. By the early 2000s, Sony was the largest manufacturer of CCDs. Then they switched to CMOS over the next few years.

It's theorized that the EOS 1D CCD is from Panasonic. It's the only Canon DSLR with a CCD.

Here's a pretty good list of who makes the Nikon sensors (mostly it's Sony): https://nikonrumors.com/2015/12/16/list-of-all-nikon-dslr-cameras-and-their-sensor-manufacturerdesigner.aspx/

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +34 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow