D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noegd
noegd Senior Member • Posts: 1,287
D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

I am a long time Nikon (D)SLR user but I have gradually transitioned to Leica M for everything except action/sports photography (essentially athletic events).

I have dipped my toe in the mirrorless world (Sony A7II and Nikon Z6) although those did not meet my expectations for sports photography and never got used much for anything else.

I’d really like to get something better than my current D750 for action photography and I am torn between different options.

One is getting a second hand D5 (I don’t think my volume of production justifies getting a new D6), which would be the easiest as I would just keep using my current lens arsenal and am used to Nikon’s general DSLR ergonomics, both on pro and consumer bodies. Of course a D5 is large and heavy which means it wouldn’t see much other use than sports photography.

Another is getting a Sony A9 (about the same price used as D5), and probably the new 70-200 2.8 and a 100-400 (I already have the excellent 24-105 G and a few primes to cover the wide end). I am particularly attracted by the insane subject tracking capabilities as well as the AF coverage which allows more framing options. The A9 is small enough that it could be considered as a backup camera to my Leica M when needed.

A third option would be the Z9 but that’s just a bet for the time being, it is likely to be much more expensive than a  (used) A9 or D5, and would likely require a renewal of my lens arsenal anyway to benefit from native performances.

I guess I am looking for feedback from sports photographer who have used both a D5 and A9… I should add that I often shoot indoors and am slightly confused as to whether the infamous A9 banding would be a real problem.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile...

noegd's gear list:noegd's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Leica M9 Nikon D750 Sony a7 II Leica M10 +16 more
Casio Exilim EX-Z9 Nikon D5 Nikon D750 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow