Yummy D-FA 21 Limited Rumor

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
MacOli Contributing Member • Posts: 513
Re: Yummy D-FA 21 Limited Rumor

KL Matt wrote:

To put this price in perspective, I came very close to spending over €500 euros on an FA 20 f.2.8 several times. That's a used lens decades old harboring who knows what kinds of secrets (haze, fungus, separation) inside and no weather sealing and surely nowhere close to the level of performance we'll see from this 21mm 2.4. I am so glad I did not!
There are cheap third-party lenses out there like the Tamron 20mm 2.8, but that's basically a fisheye, no weather sealing. I am quite certain that this Pentax, if the recent DA* 50mm and 85mm are any indication, will be a truly first-class wide angle prime, which for me means sharp wide open corner to corner and very low distortion. This appears to be the landscape and general use wide prime we've all been waiting for (me for over a decade) and if it does turn out to be anything at all like my DA* 50, then it will be worth every penny. Of course, something like the Sigma 24mm f2 contemporary or 24 1.4 Art would be fantastic to have in k-mount, but this will tide me over for now.

If Pentax is continuing its strategy of uncompromising optical performance for its FF prime lens lineup, then this lens could be very special indeed. Just imagine if they combined FA 24 color vibrancy with the sharpness and rendering of a lens like the DA* 50. This is what I expect now, seeing price and aperture, and I am confident Pentax will deliver. If they do, price is justified.

Matt

After looking at the sample imagines, which look fantastic, I tend to agree. It is not a cheap lens but I am sure, I will be very happy with the results. I love the image quality I am getting with the D-FA* 50 on my trusty old K1. 

MacOli's gear list:MacOli's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax FA 70-200 F2.8 Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow