Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
bernie r Contributing Member • Posts: 536
Re: R3, the ghost camera?

PhotoKhan wrote:

higheronymous wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Stig Nygaard wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

But where is the output from the "narrowspread" units that surely came with the "launch"?

Those were preproduction units. Not final firmware etc.

I don't see anything unusual.

Believe me, it is unusual.

In the past, I've had access to some new cameras in the time date in-between the launch and the commercial availability precisely because, after the launch, the cameras are made available to an ever enlarging circle of tester-users/ potential clients through national importers.

For this camera, it is just silence and that correlates with the lack of samples I mentioned.

It could mean something, it could mean nothing. With the Covid 19 any excuse is worthy of merit. Now they're saying there aren't enough workers to fill basic jobs. The other day Southwest cancelled thousands of flights due to low staff. Remember too there are barely any camera shops left. It's all going through the internet. I'm guessing that for Canon sending stuff out to shops is barely worth the trouble anymore. The few people who even know those shops still exist probably buy 90% of their gear off Amazon.com anyway.

Also there will be some time before raw processing software supports the new camera. Not even sure Canon's DPP software is out yet in a version supporting the R3?

Ok...Once again.

I am not talking about the commercial channel.

Canon was smart, exercising good precautionary sense to immediately inform, during the launch, that the camera would only be shipped in November.

I figured this time delay was meant for them to accrue stock in the present conditions.

What I referring to, here, is that what appears to also be happening is that not even the few hundred cameras needed for initial distribution amongst brand ambassadors, selected reviewers and importers HQs throughout the world seem to be available, given the absence of any output, other than the one made during the "launch".

...and I am wondering why...

PK

Nobodies going to send you their raws for you to edit and play around with if that's what you're asking, we're still 3 weeks away from official release and potential start of shipping.

-- hide signature --

Camera:
Canon EOS R5
Canon EOS R
Canon RF 15-35 2.8
Canon RF 28-70 2
Canon EF 70-200 2.8
Canon RF 85 1.2
Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS II USM + 1.4X III
Other:
Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head
Gitzo GT4543LS Systematic Series 4 Carbon eXact Long Tripod
Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre Tripod
Benro G3 Ball Head
Ronin S2 Gimbal
Canon Speedlite EL-1 Flash
Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flashgun
Godox AD1200 Pro Bowens Mount TTL
Gitzo Adventury 45L

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cjb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow