One image, RX100 vs XA2 smartphone, which Sony wins?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 1,711
One image, RX100 vs XA2 smartphone, which Sony wins?

My two favorite images from a recent trip to Venice were actually shot on separate devices, one is the old rx100 and the other is the more recent but still pretty old XA2 smartphone. Both made by sony, same resolution.

I cant decide for myself which one image has more appeal, the image coming from the phone(edited to taste to improve contrast and sharpness) or the unedited jpeg produced by the rx100.

The camera has a better sensor and lens of course, resulting in a cleaner image, but the smartphone picture has a nice grain which reminds me of film cameras.

Which image do you prefer and do you think the rx100 image can be edited to look better than what the XA2 produced? I am currently unable to edit images on my laptop, i have no editing software available right now and i usually hate the free ones. With the phone it was easy, i installed Pixlr, which is very use to use and free(used the auto contrast feature and increased vibrancy).

More grain and distorsion, but also more colour, thanks to the editing, obvious by looking at the water

The camera has slightly muted colors by comparison, but i like the natural look of the image

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
Fujifilm X-A2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v30
v30
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow