Burnt out on my x100f

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
eya1 Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: Burnt out on my x100f

selrond wrote:

A little story of mine if I might:

I bought myself x100f about 2 years ago as my first camera ever, partly because of my long-time interest in hobby photography but mainly because our kid was born, and I wanted to capture the fleeting memories for years to come.

It was an investment.

What followed was the pure joy and excitement of learning to work with the camera, learning the basics of photography, work with the scene, the moment, the light, then editing and so on. I was documenting every family gathering, almost every day of our family life, etc. I was taking x100f with me everywhere. I loved it.

But then, after a year or so, I've noticed I use it less and less. Somehow the excitement wore off, or disappeared. I also started noticing the imperfections and limitations of the lens (f/2 closeup performance...). Suddenly, I was not finding interesting scenes / subjects to shoot. The film simulation colors got boring. The focal length got boring.

In parallel to the gradual boredom with x100f, I've started to look at various other focal lengths & thus bodies as well (X-T3, X-T4). In fact, I've even started saving up for the X-T4. I'm finding it to be really exciting to look at the output of various lenses and what I'd be able to do with them (GAS?)

My concern though is this:

What if the same thing repeats and I find myself with x100f & X-T4 with a couple of lenses and a couple of thousands spent on it, not finding joy in it like it seem to be now?

And - more generally - has anybody had a similar experience to mine? Being burnt out on photography / camera, not knowing why? (It's my hobby, I'm not forced to it).

I'm not even sure I ask the right thing, just tried to summarize what's going through my head for some time now.

Thank you for any help

I exclusively shot my original X100 from 2013-2017. I shot intimate portraits, photojournalism, dive bar gigs, concerts and just about everything else. I'm starved for subject matter in this lockdown or I would still be shooting. 
The camera is not the limitation. Get out more, if you can, my brother.

eya1's gear list:eya1's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
rsn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow