History repeating itself in the market

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 20,821
Re: History repeating itself in the market

mamallama wrote:

Smartphones have become a necessity in modern life more than an addiction . They have replaced telephones, newspapers, computers, communication devices, television, map, etc. not to mention cameras.

If that's the case, why are so many people using them walking down the sidewalk, driving in their cars, in the grocery store and every chance they get at work and at school ?

I agree that they're incredibly handy, if not outright necessary, but I don't think the necessity factor outweighs the addiction factor in (most) people's use of phones.

I'm guessing I'm more like some of the rest of you here - my phone sits in the kitchen, unused, most of every day. I take it with me when I go out, in case my wife needs to get hold of me (or vice versa) or for directions. (And I use the weather app in preference to getting a sensationalist forecast on TV!) But otherwise, I prefer to look around and see and hear what's going on around me, rather than indulge in nonstop social media. (I spend more than enough time here on dpreview!)

The cell phone has also replaced the functions that your wallet was normally used for.

There are clearly lifestyles where a phone is handier for others than for me - I don't travel much; don't stay in hotels much; eat out rarely ... don't live in (or often visit) a big city. I rarely have reservations anywhere (though I have presented electronic tickets on my phone a couple times). I'm just not in the target market for a lot of what you can do with phone apps, but I can see where they make life easier for some people.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow