Allen hummingbird

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
A c M Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: Allen hummingbird

gavin wrote:

Cool. How do you catch the mid flight. I find them so small and erratic that its hard to catch them as they fly around. I only get them resting or feeding.

Chasing them around the yard has left me with mostly frustration.  I have found the easiest way to get an in-flight shot is a set-up.  Find a spot with good light and background and set up a feeder.  It should have a single feeding port and no perch.  Most birds will feed for a spell then back off and hover.  Pre-focus on the area where they tend to hover.  When a bird enters that area and hovers, let your AI Servo auto focus go to work.  You are still going to get a lot of OOF shots but with practice you will improve.  Capturing a pleasing wing position is the hard part and is mostly luck.  Now getting an in focus shot AND a pleasing wing position is where the hard work begins.  Prepare to give your DELETE button a good work out!  Good luck...

A c M's gear list:A c M's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow