Dp3 Merrill Macro Focus Issues: Am I a dingus?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
brendanpaxton
brendanpaxton Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Dp3 Merrill Macro Focus Issues: Am I a dingus?

16GreenBeans wrote:

Hey there,

I have a dp3 Merrill and absolutely love taking close up macro photos with it due to the high level of detail it provides. One rather annoying quirk I keep running into however is a strong falloff in focus near the far edges and/or corners of my photos.

For example, here at both the right and left ends of the image:

And here at the top right corner and bottom third of this photo below:

These photos were taken of a flat surface with the camera both on a tripod and aligned to not be on an angle. Despite this, almost every macro photo I take seems to have rather unpredictably spotty focus.

I am no pro photographer by any means, so Is this due to me just not using the proper settings or procedure when doing close-up photography? Does anyone know how I can address these issues in focus?

I don't think this is user error, unless you miscalculated the surface being flat and at perfect angle. This is a typical issue you see with lenses (usually cheaper lenses), and usually at larger apertures, and also usually with wide angle lenses (edge distortion). Surprising to see at 50mm.

Since the lens is fixed on that camera, I would suggest trying different apertures on the same frame/subject to find the sweet spot of edge-to-edge image clarity. Each lens really has its own sweet spot on edge-to-edge clarity and it's never where you'd think it would be. Some lenses are sharpest at f/4, some at f/22.

-- hide signature --
 brendanpaxton's gear list:brendanpaxton's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro H Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow