A prime shooter's musings on light zooms (XC 50-230,XC 15-45)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP FTOG Contributing Member • Posts: 991
Re: A prime shooter's musings on light zooms (XC 50-230,XC 15-45)

Fujijitsu wrote:

I agree completely about their versatility and light weight, although for me the main shortcomings are highlighted when compared to my most used lenses (23 and 35 f1.4). The limited max aperture is not such a huge issue if I compare the XC's to my f2.0 primes, but it's a big issues compared to an f1.4 prime.

The 50-230 can almost redeem itself at longer focal lengths, but I really miss f1.4 when I want to control depth of field. For that reason alone, I would never leave the trusty 35 f1.4 at ho.e and rely on zooms alone

The 35/1.4 is awful between 50 and 230mm. I jest, of course. I recognize the strengths of a fast aperture lens, and it's why I'd probably supplement the duo with at least one fast(er) prime. The 35/1.4 is a great lens, nice and compact for its fast aperture, but I simply don't connect with the FOV as much as I do with more accentuated FOVs that are wider or narrow. Thus I don't own a 35mm option currently, and would be inclined to bring my 23/2.0 or 50/2.0 instead.

FTOG's gear list:FTOG's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow