Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM has very good sharpness on the edges?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Guido Cagnacci Junior Member • Posts: 30
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM has very good sharpness on the edges?

Hello,

I photograph old paintings (canon 5DS) and at the moment I use only primes. My favourite lens is the Canon 100mm 2.8 (not IS) macro. For me this is an extraordinary lens that satisfy me totally because I need every centimetre completely sharp and the edges are sharp like the center. But when I need to shoot a detail and get closer I see light reflections. This is why I'm looking for quite some time a longer lens but with the same sharpness on the edges.

I've tried 150mm sigma macro, 180 sigma macro, canon ef 180 macro but I was not satisfied with this lenses for the sharpness on the edges.

I was thinking about the Canon ef 300mm f4 IS USM and Canon 400mmf 5.6 USM and I have read many reviews and while I was reading,  many users suggested the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. Almost everyone wrote that this lens is very sharp and my question to who own it, is: can you tell me if the edges are very sharp?

I only shoot with the camera on the tripod.

I know that this lens is used for birds and sports where the corners are not so important but my need is to deliver a photo 100% sharp to an art historian where he can examinate every squared centimetre.

The lens is expensive (and heany) and I'm ready to make a sacrifice if the lens is what I'm looking for.

Forgive my english.

Thank you

Guido Cagnacci's gear list:Guido Cagnacci's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow