History repeating itself in the market

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,059
Re: Phones not very interesting to me, to buy or use.

yardcoyote wrote:

I have a smartphone. I find it incredibly useful, and at this point it is probably pretty much necessary-- to my work, my personal safety, my communication with others, and my entertainment. If something happened to it, I would have to replace it immediately. But that would be simply an expense, no more exciting than having the furnace repaired.

I feel absolutely no desire to upgrade it using my limited budget for personal indulgences. Its value to me is purely in what it can do, and as long as it continues to do it properly, I'm perfectly happy with it. I kept my last phone for almost 6 years, only replacing it when it stopped holding a charge and I thought it was not operating 100% reliably. That phone was a Nexus 5, a modest mid priced phone, and my current one is a Pixel 3a, an equally modest successor model. Both of them were entirely adequate, and while the second one is better (a little bigger, a little faster, better screen, better camera) it wasn't enough better to be exciting.

People sometimes say here that a camera is just a tool and they don't understand how anyone can get excited about it or care about it emotionally . That's how I feel about a smartphone. My cameras, on the other hand ... I am excited to buy a lens, and getting a new camera is more like adopting a pet , a careful, thoughtful, nerve racking, and eagerly anticipated major choice.

Well, I could have written that myself!  Exactly the way I feel about mine - which coincidentally is also a Pixel 3a.

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow