Is it possible to make digitised 35mm photos as good colour-wise as modern day digital photos?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP RJDG14 Regular Member • Posts: 140
Re: Is it possible to make digitised 35mm photos as good colour-wise as modern day digital photos?

I thought I'd update and mention that I've found an example of an old photo with a slightly greenish tinge to an interior. This is a from a reel of negatives that I'm currently trying to digitise that were taken by my dad while on holiday in South Africa in 1998. It's a photo taken outside a South African Woolworths store at the time (there seem to be quite a few present and former companies called Woolworths in quite a number of different countries; the one in the UK closed their stores in late 2008, and I suspect at one point during the early 20th Century that they may have been the same company), and the interior is slightly more yellowish-green/dingy than what I'd imagine it actually was. I can sort of fix the problem by adjusting the balance but then the exterior looks an off-colour, and this is overall the best comprimise I could come up with (without stretching the boundaries of the image, which would result in unwanted artifacts):

I want to add that it looks like this was taken sometime during September-November 1998 since you can make out "Autumn 98" on the store's window display"

Certain photos from this reel look, with a bit of tweaking, virtually as good as most modern day photos, despite the fact that they were taken in the 1990s on film:

My dad had an APS camera during the mid 1990s (the above two images were both taken on my dad's subsequent 35mm camera) and I found a couple of reels of old APS negatives which I attempted to digitise (I had to break the cartridges open and cut the strips first, though), and I found that the quality of the APS photos was worse than the quality of 35mm ones, despite the fact that it was more expensive. They had more grain (in reality the same level, but APS frames are smaller so it appears more noticeable when the images are blown up) and they were of a noticeably lower fidelity since the film size was smaller. APS film, I believe, had a couple of magnetic features absent on 35mm film that meant that a compatible device could read certain data about the photo, but this was an unimportant feature for most people anyway and so I don't really understand why APS took off when it was more expensive and gave inferior quality to 35mm film.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow