Klaus dk wrote:

Dave wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Chuck6345 wrote:

Still any reliable info on a possible Canon 7Diii before the 3rd millennium?

The 7D3 is out there - it's the R6.

No, it's not.

Why? Because it says 6?

Don't be silly. Because if I put my 500 on it and crop to get the same field of view as I would on the 7D ii, I'm left with an 8mp image. And if I'm shooting with the 500 (and let's assume I'm also including the 1.4x), I'm already as close as I can get.

Look at the specs of the two cameras, they are nearly identical with the exception of APS-C and Full Frame.

Pixel density is not. See above.

Where is the APS-C camera in the RF range? There isn't one.

Yet...

Canon literally aren't making one and have set the RP at the new entry level price point and that too is full frame.

The RP replaces the 6D series, which has been approaching the $1k mark.

We are over 3 years into the RF range - and no APS-C camera. And the 7D2 is now 7 years old and still "no replacement". Yet there is a replacement camera that is identical on nearly every spec - apart from sensor size.

We're a big 7D/7D2 user, we have something like 6 7Ds and 5 7D2s in our fleet. But face it, there is no 7D2 APS-C replacement.

Yet.

The next move is the R6.

I have it, and so i can say with absolute certainty it is not a suitable replacement. For long telephoto work i would need much longer, and far more expensive lenses to get the same number of pixels on the subject. They are different cameras for different uses.

I do not know why but you guys simply won't accept it, APS-C is pretty much dead at this point. APS-C was built for price, not for crop or pixel density, that's why it was released on a Rebel and not a 1 series. Canon like everyone else are getting out of the lower end camera market as there is no more money to be made there.

I accept that APS-C was created to meet price/profitability targets. What then explains the creation of the very capable 7D using the format? Surely other alternatives existed when the decision was made.

The decision was probably made somewhere in the beginning of 2008, when an 18Mp pro grade APS-C was a real show of development and manufacturing force with great marketing potential. Those who couldn't afford a 5D II or a 1Dsomething could have everything but the FF sensor, and the birders even got the crop factor reach advantage with plenty of pixels on subject. In those days, 18Mp was huge.

Since then, manufacturers have cleverly marketed FF as the only acceptable sensor size for pros and enthusiasts, so it's no wonder that Canon is now relegating APS-C to the consumer level M series. I doubt there's a big enough market for APS-C DSLRs.

Even the fact that Canon is not launching cameras with APS-C yet you still find excuses to keep your head in the sand. Maybe they will launch an APS-C R, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing that Canon has done in the last 3 years that suggests it's going to do it - yet you still have this deranged hope. It's weird.

I’m not so sure. For a given pixel density APS-C still comes in quite a bit cheaper. More sensors per wafer, less wafer wasted and more importantly, less memory and processing. The above is considering as 32mp aps-c vs 83mp full frame. It still makes a large difference in cost. If M got dropped then that would allow a single line also reducing manufacturer costs.

As for market, the 90D and 77D still sell very well according to my local dealer. So do crop Fuji and Sony models with both having some decent current models and predicted to do more. 
Whether we do see crop has yet to be seen, but a recent interview with a Canon exec strongly hinted at one.

It is certainly an interesting as well as frustrating time. I am looking forward to watching it develop. We are still in the very early stages.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow