7DIII?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,446
Re: Let it go...

Tannin wrote:

I agree that I am in the minority, Dave8, but as any successful businessman knows, minorities, specialties, and niche markets are huge profit centres.

only at a high cost ..look at Leica would you pay 6K for a basic DSLR in 10 years' time that an entry-level MILC will do everything better??

And the SLR-buying part of the market is huge. Bigger than mirrorless? Of course not. But it doesn't need to be, it just needs to be big enough to provide a return on the R&D. Given that there is very little R&D required for a DSLR, it's a no-brainer.

Think about it: what does Canon have to spend to make (for example) a 5D V?

Body: pretty much nothing: DSLR body design has already reached perfection, or very very close to it.

Optical path (mirror, viewfinder, etc.). Nothing. All this engineering has already been done.

Sensor: pretty much nothing: sensors can be (and already have been) carried over from the equivalent mirrorless body at minimal cost.

Sort answer: it will cost them very little, and there is a pent-up market waiting for product.

i am afraid in business it don't work like that when it comes to costs

canon don't have a single production line for each lens and each body but several doing them all

they do a run on a line for so many body or lenses over a set time which then the items go into storage and are shipped out when needed, then the line is changed out to do another body/lens and after that another and hopefully they get all the different body/lenses made before the 1st body/lenses run out of stock...

they will make items with as many shared components as possible to keep costs down and the body/lenses with the most shared items will follow each other when the line is swapped out an E.G could be the EF40mm F2.8 and the EF-s 24mm F2,8 both look pretty much the same and will share many components so it will be sensible to make one after the other as there may be little to change on the line so keeping costly downtime to a minimum

so when you have say a 5Dmk5 that will share hardly any components with anything else which means its component becomes costly and make a lot of downtime swapping lines out it very quickly becomes not cost-effective.

but even if it was not making a loss manufactures are at capacity with some components probably sensors in canons case as they make them from 2 fabs 1 making the old type sensors one making the new ones (this is why the 6Dii got an old type sensor to keep the new sensors for higher-margin cameras from the new fab)

so canon are also likely to knock on the head an older less profitable body to sell more profitable bodys its better to put the limited supply of sensors (or it could be production capacity) in the most profitable bodys

canon know what it costs to make a body ..they know the profit margins are WE DONT

if canon discontinues a body you can bet its down to profitability ..if it was not why would they stop????

they will also factor in possible lost customers in the equation

so if you realy realy don't want a body with an EVF i should start to look at Pentax sooner rather than later..if there is enough folk like yourself Pentax will always be in business ..if you doubt that then it disproves your argument

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me it is bad I know it is .....................................................................................................
the EOS M is not dead and wont be for a long time ....as long as you don't want a flagship camera with a VF...if that's the case it died sometime ago
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
.........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
.....................................................................................................
If you wait for a camera that will tick all your boxes ....by then you will have more boxes to tick..... so the wait continues .....David Appleton

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow