Looking for a wider angle lens for my Z50

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Kirnbichler Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Looking for a wider angle lens for my Z50

Well, with the Z5 you could use the Laowa 9mm f/5.6, which currently is the widest FF ("FX") rectilinear (that is, non-fisheye) lens on the market. And, according to various tests, it performs quite well.

That said, this is a fully-manual "non-CPU" lens, which has to be taken into consideration.

The widest rectilinear UWA lens for APS-C is, as far as I know, still the Sigma 8-16mm, that has to be used with the FTZ adapter.

This is an AF lens, using a silent and quick HSM ("USM") motor, and on the market since 2010.

8mm seems to be less than 9mm, but as the one is for APS-C and the other is for fullframe, the equivalent FOV is 12mm vs. 9mm. That difference is enormous.

If not the ultimate in UWA is needed, an excellent choice for the Z5 would be the Z 14-30. This native Z lens is as its brethren obscenely sharp and allows the use of screw-in filters due to it's filter thread of ø 82 mm. You'd need ultraslim filters, though, as vignetting occurs otherwise on the widest end.

Neither of the two other lenses have filter thread; Laowa offers a filter holder for square 100 mm filters and there are 3rd-party holders for the Sigma for 150 mm filters.

Regarding weight and size, the absolutely smallest and lightest option is the Laowa 9mm f/5.6  with just 350 g and 62.4 x 66 mm.

The Sigma 8-16mm weighs 555 g, another 135 g has to be added for the FTZ adapter. Size without the FTZ adapter is 75 x 105 mm.

The Z 14-30 weighs 485 g, size is 89 x 85mm.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow