Advice for neglecting a camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
RedDog Steve
RedDog Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,915
Re: Advice for neglecting a camera

mount evans wrote:

Since getting the E-M1 II, the E-M5 has sat on the shelf. With the 12-50mm kit lens attached, since all the good lenses went with the new camera. It is still a great camera of course, and I should make sure that it remains usable. What is the best way to store a camera you won't be using for a while? Should I remove the battery? Detach the lens?

Store the camera with its kit lens attached and the lens cap on. Store in a zipped up camera bag or case away from changes in temperature and humidity, preferably with a desiccant pack.

Remove the battery - older batteries can swell and become lodged. If they are compatible, put the batter(ies) in rotation with the E-M1 (I'm not sure if they are). If they are not compatible just store them with the charger nearby but separate from the camera case.

On general principle I'd keep an SD card in the body, ready to go.

There are some storage suggestions in the camera's manual that you might refer to, IIRC mostly covered in the above.

regards,rd

-- hide signature --

I'm not a perfectionist, I'm a precisionist.
rd

RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow