Nikkor Z 40/2 vs. Viltrox Z 33/1.4 vs. Nikkor F 35/1.8 DX on Z50

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
p5freak Senior Member • Posts: 2,973
Nikkor Z 40/2 vs. Viltrox Z 33/1.4 vs. Nikkor F 35/1.8 DX on Z50

I have all three lenses, and i made some test shots. Those were shot from a tripod, using 5s self timer. Every photo is unprocessed, straight from the camera. The photos are :

1. 35mm DX f1.8
  2. 35mm DX f2.8
  3. 40mm f2
  4. 40mm f2.8
  5. Viltrox 33mm f1.4
  6. Viltrox 33mm f2
  7. Viltrox 33mm f2.8

The 40 and 33 are silent during autofocus, both are equally fast. The 35 is slower, and noisy. How about sharpness, and contrast ? As i was expecting, the new 40 cant beat the 12 year old 35 DX, which is also half the price, and it cant keep up with the Viltrox at f2.

Which confirms my opinion that (inexpensive) FF lenses arent suited for DX. The 40, wide open, simply cant resolve the higher megapixel density of the Z50. Yet, Nikon recommends the 40 for the Z50 and ZFC, i dont recommend it when you want good sharpness wide open.

The 35 DX at f1.8 is about as sharp as the 40 at f2.8 and the Viltrox at f2. Thats disappointing Nikon. I will return the 40. I guess its ok on a Z5, Z6 (II), because their megapixel density is lower, about 10.7 Mpixel DX. Is my 40 a bad sample ? I dont think so. Other sample shots from the 40 i found on the web didnt look really sharp wide open either.

The Viltrox is the winner in my eyes, it beats the 40 at f2, is about as sharp as the 35 DX at f2, is faster and noiseless during autofocus, and weight is also the same as 35DX plus FTZ.

-- hide signature --

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

Nikon Z fc Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow