12-XXXmm zoom advice

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KungFuRamone
KungFuRamone Junior Member • Posts: 30
12-XXXmm zoom advice

Hey guys,

I've been looking at getting a new wide/zoom to go on my G9 when hiking. I've had the 100-400mm pretty much permanently attached recently (like the reach for shooting wildlife), but missing shots that require a focal length lower than 100mm, because I'm too sodding lazy to swap lenses. I've got the Pany Lumix 12-60mm, but I want something with a bit longer reach, and being from the UK (low light) preferably something with a wider aperture...I know I'm not going to get everything in one package, but here's what I've been looking at:

Olympus 12-100mm - Quality lens, better reach (bridges the gap to the 100-400), but not sure how it will handle hand held on a G9 with just lens OIS at F4. Anyone with experience of this on a G9?

Olympus 12-200mm - Ideal focal length, aperture pretty much matching the P12-60. Would use the IBIS of the G9 but not sure how good that would be? Again any experience of this?

Panasonic Leica 12-60mm - Same focal length as what I've already got in my kit bag, but a welcomed extra stop. Would use dual IS, but would the IQ be a bigger enough step up and I'd still have that focal gap to the 100-400.

Not really bothered by price as looking to pick up a used copy and they're all within the same ball park and weight isn't an issue as I hike with my 100-400 using a knock of Peak Design capture clip anyway...so anything would be lighter than that!

Any advice would be welcomed! Cheers!

-- hide signature --

// Dave
// dave-harrison-ward.picfair.com

KungFuRamone's gear list:KungFuRamone's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow