The curse of Sigma Foveon cameras

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Valentino 67
Valentino 67 Junior Member • Posts: 49
The curse of Sigma Foveon cameras

What a company Sigma! Creating bricks look a like cameras or futuristic shaped cameras - and getting bad reviews from everywhere, including from this site. Yes, we all know the shortcomings, but everyone agrees the image quality is there. Isn't this the most important?

I always used compact cameras, easy for travel. When Sigma DP1 came out - the first compact with SRL quality - I bought it and I didn't regret. This photo I took in Tibet with DP1.

Later on I tried my first SLR, Sony SLT A55. I returned it immediately. Way far away in terms of image quality compared with DP1. Yet, it got a "Gold Award"...

Nowadays, I am still using the almost 10 years old Sigma DP1 Merrill and DP3 Merrill - wonderful cameras. As a carry everywhere camera for snapshots, I am using Ricoh GRIII - a snappy and very good in low light camera. But when I come back to the Merrill - there is something I love about the images, that cannot be found in other cameras. If you own these cameras, you will understand.

Hopefully the Foveon will be here to stay. Waiting for the next Sigma Foveon cameras!

Valentino 67's gear list:Valentino 67's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Ricoh GR III
Ricoh GR III Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow