Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
David Pavlich
David Pavlich Veteran Member • Posts: 4,786
Re: Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

Travis Nicky Bombastus wrote:

David Pavlich wrote:

Travis Nicky Bombastus wrote:

Sony makes appliances and Canon is over-priced and a few years behind (so much so that DPR went out of its way to compare the R3 to the 2 year old--and thousands of dollars cheaper--Sony A9 II).

You forgot to mention how many times the R5 (not a flagship camera) has been compared to the A1 (flagship camera) and fared very well. And even though Canon is 'so far behind in tech', they are still the #1 camera seller. Imagine that!

David

David, I left out the R5 as a courtesy (some people can't handle comparisons like adults. They resort to labels as "obsession," or "fan-boy" or "smearing," you see, when people hold opinions different than theirs).

In my mind, the R5 is most well-known for its over-heating and cooked RAWs (the baked-in noise reduction smears detail, as DPR itself mentioned recently). To its credit, it walks all over Sony--ergonomics-wise.

What you prioritize (e.g., sales volume) might be different than me, and that's fine.

Well, sales is what the shareholders and stakeholders want to see.  If it were your business or you were one of those stockholders, that would make you a very happy person.  So in that sense, Canon is doing what it's supposed to do.

But you're right.  We all have our opinions, some based on logic and some, not so much. I don't see the R5 in the overheating flap.  I've probably shot 5 minutes of video on a 5DIV that I've owned for 3 years.  I did get to shoot stills with the R5 and found the images excellent, even at 300%.

Ergonomics?  It's what kept me a firm no in the Sony column.  Miserable things to shoot with, but that's just me.

My only reason for my reply to you was your making note of an 'unfair' comparison.  So I just put in my own version of 'unfair' comparison.  And that's really all there is to my reply.

David

-- hide signature --

"The taxpayers are sending congressmen on expensive trips abroad. It might be worth it except they keep coming back." Will Rogers
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow