Camera for the Month of October - SD1/M

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 30,267
Re: Camera for the Month of October - SD1/M

Human Elements wrote:

rick decker wrote:

The Merrill line has come under some criticism as being on the flat side or not as lively/alive as the older models. So feedback on your thoughts as we go through the month wiould be much appreciated.

I think that's quite true but also part of the appeal of the Merrill line. It's significantly less punchy than the previous line of Foveons and IMO, only slightly less vibrant than the Quattros.

Some folks call it "Kodachrome-like." I haven't shot much film, let alone Kodachrome, so I don't know how true that is. But it does remind me of the character of National Geographic images I loved as a kid. What drew me to Foveon in the first place is that they seem to add their particular rendering to the scene. And the Merrill rendering is really something special, though possibly an acquired taste

The Merrill is sharper than 35mm Kodachrome. I never shot any medium format Kodachrome.

Here's a couple of Kodachromes, from 1977. I do think the general look of the images is similar.

Don

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow