Current State-of-the-Art in SPP Processing Alternatives?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
brendanpaxton
brendanpaxton Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Let's cut to the Chase

Roger wrote:

stansbca wrote:

Hello all.

Hi there

I am currently on vacation and happily snapping away with my DP2M.

Good for you

However, if it's like previous vacations, I'll get back and stick my camera on my desk--> dreading processing my photos and avoiding it for months (knowing how painful it will be).

Not sure what you mean by painful, but you should roll up your sleeves and jump right in with both feet. If your referring to SPP I don't understand. On my machine SPP is really. really good, it's the best for Sigma Raw files and fast.

I was wondering what the current state of the art seems to be in relation to processing primarily outside of SPP? For instance?:

SPP 6.8.0 is what I have. There is a new version but my machine to old to use it.

• Are there any suitable raw converters that can compare in quality while being faster?
  • Are there workable X3F to DNG converters? (Last I tried Kalpanika, it failed on many files)
  • Is there a suitable workflow for generically processing a folder of X3F in SPP to TIFF or other format such that similar post-processing results are possible in other programs? I love what SPP can do, but it's just glacially slow.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice. I'm interested to hear what successful workflows have been established.

1. No, SPP is the best for Sigma raw files.

2. Not that I know of XF3 to DNG converters.

3. Ok, if you convert your XF3 files to Tiff you can use a program called PhotoScape X Pro you can find it here,

http://x.photoscape.org/

It's FREE, yes free!! It was/is developed by Pro Photographers for photographers. I do not know or am I linked to these people or program, but it works. It works great. There is a lot in it so you have to look around watch the tutorials and learn what it can do. It has a lot of surprises inside it, and it's free. There is a "Pro" version for $39.99 USD, it has a couple of features I really like, but I can't see a reason to buy at this time as it to much bubble gummy stuff for me. For $39.99 you get the extras and lifetime upgrades, it's a one time fee. I sent them $15 USD just for a donation because the program is so good. It even processes my FP files. BUT YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO USE IT just like SPP OR IT WILL DO YOU NO GOOD.

For me I use SPP for my Sigma gear and PhotoScape X (been using it about a year now and still learning what it can do) for my Panasonic S1R. I just figured out how to convert my color images to Monochrome with just click of the mouse button just like SPP, and.......what, it's FREE no paying!!!

Good luck be Safe

Roger J.

I agree with you on the SPP comments. The amount of work just reading through the insane chaos of this thread of alternatives when you could literally just batch convert to TIFF in SPP with zero issues is absolutely mind-boggling.

People will seriously kill themselves reinventing the wheel. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

-- hide signature --
 brendanpaxton's gear list:brendanpaxton's gear list
Sigma sd Quattro H Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow