Issue with RF 24-105 L

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Higgins2002
Higgins2002 Contributing Member • Posts: 731
Re: Issue with RF 24-105 L

f8f8f8 wrote:

I recently sent my Rf 24-105 L lens to Canon for warranty service. I felt that the lens at the wide end, especially the lower left corner, was too soft. In addition, I felt that the IS was not an improvement over the EF 24 -105L version 1 lens that I also have. Prior to obtaining the Rf version, my EF 24-105L was my "worst" lens. I got the lens back from Canon service and they said: " The unit was cleaned and checked. Product functions were confirmed. Your product has been examined and it was found that tyhe optical assembly was out of position causing the focus to operate improperly. Adjustments were carried out on the optical assembly. Product functions were confirmed."

I feel that the lens is still off in the lower left in terms of resolution. Dare I utter the forbidden word (de-centered)? In terms of focus, it was and is spot on. Please look at the following two pics taken moments apart first with the RF lens then with the EF version. EFCS, hand held, IS on, f8, 24 mm, spot focus at about the center of the pic. Is the RF version left side, especially lower left acceptable to you? This is a real world three dimension practical test. The DOF should extend to infinity under these conditions. I did try Lens Rental's find edges technique on grass and it seems to agree with my observations.

RF 24-105 L at 24 mm f8 handheld IS on EFCS spot focus near center of image

EF 24-105 L at 24mm f8 handheld IS on EFCS spot focus near center of image

I waited for 5 month to get my RF24-105L and when I got it it was terrible at 24 f8 on the  left side  unusable returned it asap and still waiting for a new one.

have waited 4 month now for the second copy but I'm more and more convinced to get my money back rather than wait for another lemon or "mediocre quality L lens".

I'm thinking of getting a prime 24 f1.4 from sigma and get the RF70-200F4L instead

Higgins2002's gear list:Higgins2002's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow