Baryta budget alternative

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,598
Wet darkroom papers

Easiest way to determine OBAs and even to some degree the magnitude of the optical effect which may get compromised when UV blocking glazings are used is to shine a UV LED flashlight on the print surface. Lots of OBAs....Lots of "bright blue glow" from the flashlight. Place a UV blocking glazing over the paper...little or no "blue glow".

A couple of other interesting things I learned were that my old darkroom prints I made 20 or 30 years ago are in fact not OBA free and still shine about the same as my preferred ink jet papers, despite being displayed for 20 years. That put things in perspective for me.

Yep--for all people talk about silver halide B&W, especially on FB paper, being archival, go and see what B&W papers are available today and how many of them are OBA-free. At least among what I viewed as the mainstays of B&W paper when I had a wet darkroom, the ones on the market today pretty much all contain OBAs. So maybe OBAs are really not that bad, or maybe B&W wet prints are really not that archival, or (what I think) the archival-or-not situation involves a lot of variations, complexities, and nuances.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow