Baryta budget alternative

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,580
Re: OBAs and UV filtration

What people do and don't notice never ceases to amaze me. And art snobs can be pretty bad, maybe about like wine snobs. "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss things; small minds discuss wine." - Attributed to Fran Lebowitz.

And perhaps small minded photographers just discuss OBAs.

Fair enough. But FWIW, I don't claim to be an artist, a great photographer, or an arbiter of what is or isn't good / important art. My photography is mostly for my own interest and amusement, and hopefully to leave my kids with something they're glad to have. After that, if anyone else appreciates it and/or regards it as worthwhile art, great, but I don't make that claim.

OTOH, many of the technical issues interest me as an amateur engineer and scientist.

I have prints from decades ago that were made with high OBA papers. Some have been displayed under harsh conditions for long periods of time. I can see no signs of deterioration. I even tried doing a reprint to see if that would show a noticeable difference. I just wasted my time. I have tried putting a print next to a 100 watt light bulb that was on for about 12 hours a day. I also put that same print in a west facing window for a few months. It looked the same as the control stored in the dark.

I have experienced some notable deterioration, very visible stuff, with a relatively small number of my photos. The worst was probably a print from one of the major services, displayed in my office, where it got relatively direct early-morning sunlight. Especially because it was a B&W image, it yellowed very noticeably over maybe about eight years, at which point I got a new print. Can I prove that light exposure degrading OBAs caused the yellowing? No. It merely seems to be the most likely cause.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow