Baryta budget alternative

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,591
Re: OBAs and UV filtration

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

What people do and don't notice never ceases to amaze me. And art snobs can be pretty bad, maybe about like wine snobs. "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss things; small minds discuss wine." - Attributed to Fran Lebowitz.

And perhaps small minded photographers just discuss OBAs.

I have prints from decades ago that were made with high OBA papers. Some have been displayed under harsh conditions for long periods of time. I can see no signs of deterioration. I even tried doing a reprint to see if that would show a noticeable difference. I just wasted my time. I have tried putting a print next to a 100 watt light bulb that was on for about 12 hours a day. I also put that same print in a west facing window for a few months. It looked the same as the control stored in the dark.

Let us face it. Few of us will have prints still being shown in galleries and museums 50 or 100 years from now. If so the curators will need to deal with the issue. Fading of pigments is still a bigger issue than OBAs. In the meantime for most pigment prints even on OBA papers, results are going to look good 50 years from now for works continuously displayed without glazing under high illumination:

Epson UltraChrome K3 fade tests with Red River Paper (redrivercatalog.com)

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow