Baryta budget alternative

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,298
Re: A suggestion

al404 wrote:

ILFORD paper arrived sooner than expected

I'm not really interested at Baryta and Cotton Rag because in that price range I have many option that I preferred but I want to mention that Gold fiber gloss is not gloss at all and doesn't really have that Baryta uneven surface

The Rag is interesting but I use occasionally

Not the 2 more interesting: Smooth Pearl and Smooth Gloss

The are 310 so pretty thick, less bright white that Canson Photosatin Premium that is the first I got to do some testing.

Paper doesn't look yellow if you look it alone but is warmer near Canson that looks more bright white

the only thing I'm concerned and I don't really know how it can effect the paper and ink over time is

OBA Content: Yes

Acid Free: NO

somebody more experienced can tell me if is something to be concerned about?

tecnica sheet

https://ilford.com/wp-dev/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/GPSPP_v3_19032019.pdf

OBAs fade and turn yellow over time if exposed to UV light. This is not a problem if your photo is not exposed to either sunlight (directly or indirectly) or to fluorescent light or is framed behind UV blocking glass. The common LED light used today has little if any UV light.

Not being "Acid Free" just means it's not buffered with calcium carbonate. This is primarily a problem if the paper is exposed to high humidity which can activate the acid in the paper which will start to destroy it over time. 100% cotton paper is naturally acid free in that it contains no lignin, a component of wood that turns acid as it decomposes.

This is not a paper that can be sold/advertised as archival. It is a standard RC Luster paper just like all the other luster papers on the market. I've been told by people in the industry that all luster paper sold throughout the world is made in one or two paper coating factories in Europe and then just relabeled with whatever brand is selling it.

mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow