Need advice on lens for HS football games!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Zendit_Outdoors Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Need advice on lens for HS football games!

Craig Gillette wrote:

I think you have two "problems." Low light and high speed motion and then distance to the action. From the sideline, a 70-200/2.8 will handle nearby action pretty well. The Tamron 70-180/2.8 is responsive and not terribly expensive. If you are limited to shooting from the stands, you might have to look to longer lenses.

It might be worth verifying with the school what your shooting opportunities will be and maybe renting a 70-180 or 200 and the 200-600 just to see how they work in your situation and venue.

Yessir, I’m going to rent some to try out. We have pretty great light on our field and being a VERY small school I’ll be able to actually get right on the edge of the field. Out of the way, of course, but still on the grass and very close to the sidelines. I’m going to start with the 70-200 F2.8 GM and the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 GM. I can’t find anything fast in the 400mm+ range that’s even remotely affordable. 😥 I do appreciate your help/advice! 🙏

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow