Need advice on lens for HS football games!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Zendit_Outdoors Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Need advice on lens for HS football games!

Jojophotomo wrote:

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

So, our youngest son has really turned out to be a great athlete and we’re SO proud of his accomplishments - starting offense, defense and special teams/returns as a sophmore! - that the wife has approved the purchase of a lens to photograph and video the games. Yay! For once I won’t get browbeaten for a photography purchase! Haha! We live in a tiny town that’s very poor and the other parents will be SO happy if I can take some great photos of the boys, for them. But, I need help picking a lens….

I currently have a A7Riv that I’m using for everything but I’m waiting (been 2 months already!) on a A7Siii. I’m really needing to stay under $2500 although I could go to $3k if I absolutely had to. Ideally, I’d like to find something closer to the $2k mark. After watching some YouTube videos on sports photography, it looks like a zoom lens with something like a 300mm-400mm lens would be my best bet. Problem is, the guy who made some of the football-specific tutorials stressed that you “really need a f2.8 lens” because of the low light; otherwise your iso will have to be too high. Unfortunately, those fast Sony lenses with that max focal length a WAY above my pay grade! Like $7k+. What I’m wondering if this guy’s advice is off? He’s a Nikon shooter and I was hoping that these 2 Sony A7 series cameras (particularly the A7Siii) with their lowlight performance capabilities would allow me to use the more affordably priced, albeit ‘slower,’ lenses? Something like the Sony FE 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens or even the Sony FE 200-600mm G OSS lens and still get some great images without a ton of noise?

I want to take some great photos of my boy and his teammates but I’m not taking these as a pro and I’m not trying to sell photos to SI. I’m not going to pixel peep THAT much. Given that qualification, can I get away with one of these lenses? OR, would I be better off picking up the 85mm GM (that I’ve been itching for!) and just try and shoot those plays where I can get pretty close to the action? FWIW - the longest focal length lens I currently have is the Sony 24-105mm f4 G OSS.

Sure would appreciate any advise you can share with me. 👊😁

70-200 2.8 no question. Yeah you'll have to move around a lot, but with most high school teams that's not an issue. Anything else is just not going to give you the light gathering capabilities to keep up reasonable shutter speeds after the sun goes down.

For reference, I use an A9 and A1. This advice applies no matter what camera you choose.

Thanks. I was afraid I might get that answer. Lol. I’m going to start by renting the 70-200 F2.8 GM lens and I’m going to rent the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 GM just because I’m stubborn. It’ll be fun to play with at the ranch anyway!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow