What will you be shooting two years from now?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
chambeshi Senior Member • Posts: 2,947
Hybrid F-Z system

Ideally I need 3 cameras for wildlife as well as some landscapes macro subjects. This is a significant investment for a D850 and better. A Full switch is not only unnecessary but even more costly.

Thanks to the FTZ I'll keep working f mount telephotos etc and build up ultra wide and medium Zooms as the Z system matures. So I'm budgeting for the 14-24 f2.8S and 24-105 S, perhaps 100-400 S.

My D850 and D5 still have some years of work ahead, and I might add a Z9 if I can afford one, or settle on a used Z7 II for silent shooting and closeups, landscapes.

Nikon's recent releases enable one to pick and choose to build one's hybrid system. Its scope will improve with the Z9 flagship and 3rd generation Z cameras. There's also the new FTZ, which sounds intriguing.

JasonTheBirder wrote:

I am sure the Z9 will offer significant advantages. But my D500 works very nicely still, and only has about 30K shots on it. So I am just going to use it until it breaks, at which point I will pick up a Z9 or whatever other advanced camera Nikon has out at the time.

I feel the D500 keeps up with me 90% of the time, and the Z9 will probably get me to 98%. So, I do not think it is wise to upgrade right away. Besides, if I wait, I'll probably be able to get a lightly used or refurbished copy and save a couple thousand...

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow