Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
bastibe Contributing Member • Posts: 729
Re: Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

I don't know about you, but I regularly go through a phase of comparisons when I just go some new gear and want to learn its limits.

But once I got that out of my system, I go through months and years of just using it. Of course there always remains a nagging voice saying "what if" in the back of my mind. And there remains a continued evaluation of the various pieces of gear in use, which is part of learning how to wield it most effectively. But to me that's not comparison, but just use.

More dangerous is perhaps the endless news cycle of ever newerer and betterer gear. Knowing about new releases, and thinking about its potential is probably useful consumer behavior. But this could potentially  turn into an obsession with the marginal gains of the latest and greatest, fuelled by the gear review brigade on YouTube and dpreview.

But frankly, I don't know anyone who actually did fall into that trap in reality.

bastibe's gear list:bastibe's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sony RX1 Panasonic LX100 II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow