Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,814
Re: Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

First, I wouldn't call it an obsession for everyone who makes comparisons.

But as to where an interest in comparison comes from, there can be different answers:

Determining how to best obtain what's desired in a product before committing to a purchase.

If I want to buy something as simple as a bath towel, I'm likely to compare the choices available in the store. Is one more fluffy and comfortable than another? Are there overall size differences? Which color do I prefer? How does the price factor in? Now extend that metaphor to camera equipment, which is far more varied and complicated than bath towels, so there can be many significant comparison points.

Exercising something known as curiosity.

If I already own a bath towel that I'm happy with, I probably won't do much comparing to other bath towels. Similarly, if I already own camera equipment that I'm happy with, I probably won't do much comparing to other camera equipment. But in this case there's a difference. Unlike the world of bath towels, the world of camera equipment is subject to rapid innovation and change. For some people, understanding what's happening in that world is sort of a hobby in itself, and it can be both enjoyable and educational.

Actual obsession.

There probably are people who do this comparison thing obsessively, but then you get into exploring the causes behind obsessive behavior in general.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow