Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 7,506
Re: Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

softmarmotte wrote:

Few people seem happy with what they have. We see comparisons everywhere

These are two separate topics. I disagree that only a few people are happy with what they have. A lot of people are happy with what they have, maybe not all the time but enough of the time to be happy. These are folks who understand it's not the things in our lives that give happiness, it's the people and relationships. Relationships are key because that's a two-way street. They require giving and happiness is tied pretty closely with what we give, and to whom or what.

As for making comparisons, it's what we do...how we're wired genetically.

• "I want to get over that mountain into the valley beyond where sweet fruit is ripening this time of year. Which is the shortest, safest, easiest route to take?"
  • "Where should we build our homestead? Here, where we have a river for water, an open field for growing crops, and a nearby forest for meat, and other resources or someplace else?"
  • "Those two snakes are beautifully colored but one is harmless and one is poisonous. Can you tell them apart?"
  • "I enjoy a variety of music but rock & roll is my favorite genre."

Comparing, sensors, lenses, weight, colours, IQ, sharpness, lastest... seems endemic

What are we hoping to do/achieve by constantly comparing one thing with another ?

and yes, like everyone I fall into the trap (sometimes)

In what sense is comparing one thing to another a trap?

So, calling all psychologists, anthropologists...or maybe we'll just end up comapring psyches

They may all be busy helping others in real need.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow