Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob A L Veteran Member • Posts: 3,498
Re: Where has this obsession with comparison come from ?

Good post and thought provoking.  I am as guilty of this as anyone, and just recently had an experience of this.  In looking to buy a new piece of gear read a post where someone said that the new model was not as sharp as the old one and posted two pics to show the difference.  And I could see what he meant and had to agree.  But in the real world, either of the two comparison shots were perfectly acceptable.  Without seeing them side by side I was quite impressed by the less sharp of the two. Then even side by side could not really pick a preference.  I really wonder if such comparisons are a good thing or not. Each particular photo has different conditions and comparing just one shot does not always tell the story.  That said, doubt that I can resist taking 100 comparison shots when my new toy arrives to see. But really think I would better off to refrain from doing this and just judge the new model by what it produces without comparing to a different model.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow